Huby C of E School Parent Teachers Association (PTA)
A warm welcome to the PTA page! The Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) is a charitable organisation that you are automatically a member of (if your child attends Huby School).
Our purpose is to raise funds through events and other initiatives. These funds are used to pay for things the local authority don’t normally budget / provide for.
We like to be an inclusive a group as possible. To be active in the group you don’t require any particular skills – just your willingness to volunteer and offer your opinion. If your child / children matters to you then your opinion matters to us. We have regular updates on our activities through letters in book bags, school newsletters, PTA emails and through our Huby School PTA Facebook page which you’re welcome to join.
The group is solely made up of parents and care-givers of children in the school. You can be as active or as passive as you wish within the group, although we’d love for you to be as involved as possible.
How do we raise funds?
Our main events throughout the year are;
- Bonfire Night – We host the Huby Bonfire each year which is open to all. We have fantastic fireworks, a huge bonfire, hot dogs, homemade soup and chilli, glowsticks, cakes and hot drinks. This event is very successful raising around £1000 every year. At the 2017 event we had nearly 500 people attend the event.
- Santa Night – Normally held on a Friday after school in December the children, teachers and parents come together in school to welcome Santa Claus as he visits the children to give out gifts from his special Grotto. The evening is packed with fun crafts for the children, homemade cakes, mulled wine, lucky dip, tombola, raffle, 2nd hand toy stall and even nail and face painting. There is something for everyone.
- Summer Carnival – This event has a different theme each year and is based on the school field. Last time it was Ninja’s and we had ninja style challenges throughout the day. It’s a great event to meet other parents socially and enjoy a drink while the children enjoy the many events. Again, this event raises over £1000
- School Disco – Just for the kids I’m afraid! The end of term disco is a favourite with the children and allows them to let their hair down and dance away to songs played by a professional DJ in the school hall.
- Bags 2 School. Through our partnership with Bags 2 School we manage to raise over £500 per year from unwanted clothes donated to the school.
We also run smaller events throughout the year such as movie nights at school, our annual pumpkin competition and The Great Huby Duck Race.
How can you get involved?
We understand that most people have very busy lives and can’t always commit to getting involved as much as they might like to. You are welcome to support the events in various capacities, as detailed below;
- Attend the events and enjoy the atmosphere.
- Join in the debates by offering support or ideas in the Facebook page.
- Volunteer to bake buns or donate a prize.
- Get involved by manning a stall, setting up or helping to de-rig after the event.
- Join the committee and have more involvement in planning an event.
What happens to all the money raised?
As a charity we have a responsibility to spend what we raise, the funds aren’t to be kept as a savings account.
The PTA has funded such things as;
- Coach travel for visits and excursions.
- Re-marking the school playground
- Netball posts
- 30 Chrome Books
- 4 iPads
- Reading books
- Visualisers (like a modern day overhead projector for those of you that remember them!)
How can you contact us?
You can contact the PTA by the following means;
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- send a message to or join the Huby School PTA Facebook page.
- speak face to face to; Nena Armistead – PTA Secretary, Rachel Gilmore – PTA Treasurer or Mark Hudson – PTA Chair (we are all at most pick-up or drop-offs at school).