Quick Links


CE (VC) Primary School

Google Services

Google Translate

Google Translate

Google Search

Google Search


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Special Educational Needs Policy

SEND Information Report for Parents and Carers

Accessibility Plan


A Parent's Guide to Special Educational Needs at Huby CE Primary School


Our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) is Miss Jane Cunningham. She can be contacted on 01347 665100 or by emailing Our SEND Governors are Mrs Rachel Comerford and Mrs Joanna Tunningley.


All about special educational needs


Approximately one in five children will have special educational needs (SEN) at some time during their school career.

This means that they may have difficulty with:


  • Reading, writing, mathematics
  • Understanding information and others and expressing themselves
  • Organising themselves
  • Sensory perception or physical mobility
  • Managing their behaviour
  • Making friends or relating to adults


These difficulties cause barriers to the child's learning. The school will assess your child to identify their strengths, needs and the extra help they may require. They may be at one of two stages on the SEN Code of Practice SEN thresholds:


SEN Support: Extra help in class from a teaching assistant, small group support, ICT access and advice or support from outside specialists eg specialist teacher, speech and language therapist, health professional.


Education, Health and Care Plan:  when needs are complex and severe.


What is offered for your child

Huby offers the following according to your child's special educational needs, in addition to high quality teaching

  • A curriculum to match needs
  • Enhanced access to ICT or specialist equipment and aids
  • In class support from teaching assistants
  • Additional programmes in literacy and numeracy delivered in a small group or one-to-one
  • One-to-one or small group wok
  • Homework support
  • Test and exam concessions
  • Extra help from other services


Outcomes for pupils

The extra help the school offers will enable your child to:

  • Reach their full potential
  • Achieve their personal best
  • Make progress
  • Feel valued and included
  • Enjoy school


Partnership with parents

Huby School works in partnership with parents to meet the child's needs. This means:

  • We listen to the views of parents
  • Parents are equal partners in decisions about their child's education
  • Parents are kept informed about their child's needs and progress


What parents want to know

  • What the school thinks your child's special needs are
  • What the school is doing to meet your child's needs
  • Whether what the school is doing is working
  • How your child feels about what the school is doing to help them
  • How parents can be involved


What to do if you have concerns

  • Speak to your child's class teacher and SENDCO
  • Speak to the SEN governor and headteacher
  • Get advice from SENDIASS


SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service) is a confidential and impartial service that provides information and advice on SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability)  policy, process and law.

Their service is free and confidential and they can help children, parents and young people take part in decisions that affect their lives.


They offer information and advice to:

  • Children and young people (up to 25 years) with SEND
  • Parents and carers of children with SEND
  • Practitioners (who might support children, young people or parents to access our service)

Please click here to access the SENDIASS website


And if you concern is not resolved: